Sunday, January 18, 2009

My view on "My Papa's Waltz"

The whiskey on your breath could make a small boy dizzy. Makes me think that the father came home drunk. But i hung on like death: such waltzing was not easy. The boy had to help his father when he came home. Waltz could be a metaphor for the father staggering around drunk. Waltzing was not easy because helping his father who was drunk was not easy. We romped until the pans slid from the kitchen self. His dad was maybe bumping into things in the kitchen causing the pans to fall. My mother's countenance could not unfrown itself. His mother was mad because the father came home drunk and that the young son had to help his father. The hand that held my wrist was battered on one knuckle. This could mean the father may have hurt someone or something while he was drunk. He might have even hurt himself while falling. At every step you missed my right ear scraped a buckle. The child was so young that he only came up to his fathers waist but yet he had to help his father because he was drunk. Which caused him to get hurt. You beat time on my head with a palm caked hard by dirt. This was a little harder to think of what it meant but to me it sounded like the father was hitting the kid on the head and maybe not realizing it. The palm caked hard with dirt could be that the father had fallen alot because he was drunk. Then waltz me off to bed still clinging to your shirt. This made me kinda feel bad for the boy because this is the memories that he has of his father. Instead of a bed time story he got a drunk father tucking him into bed. The relationship of the son and father to me would not be a good one. Because to a child their parents are like superheros and no child would want to see their dad like that. The parents are suppose to be the care givers and not the other way around. Also the relationship seemed kind of abusive. Which is not be good for the child.

No comments:

Post a Comment