Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Papa's Waltz

At first I didn't know whether this poem was written in a positive note or a negative one. When I first read it, my reaction was that the speaker was writing about a memory he had as a child when he was playing around with his dad. I thought this because the poem talked about them messing up the kitchen and his mother not being happy about it. Then I read it again and I found that most of the words in the poem are negative words, but I still can't tell if the speaker's writing about a good childhood memory or a bad one. I guess if I had to choose a side I would lean more towards the negative side because when I'm finished with the poem it leaves me feeling like the kid maybe got in trouble by his drunk father, got a whooping, and then was put to bed feeling horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment